A warm welcome to all my visitors,

Thank you for taking the time to come and look at my blog, I really do appreciate it. I would love you to leave me a comment, even if it’s just to say Hi. It means I can come visit you!

All my designs are original, so copyrighted to me. If I have been inspired by someone elses work, I have named them in the post, and where able, I have provided a link.

Please feel free to use my designs for inspiration, I just ask you to credit me, and provide a link back to my blog.

Thanks, Shaz XX

Friday 7 October 2016

Polar Bear Christmas Cards

 Finished the cards that were on my desk, and I'm quite pleased with how they turned out, as I hadn't really got a plan in mind when I started.
 I found the sheets of stamped images in a box of Christmas Papers whilst tidying, and I must have stamped them up a few years ago. Quite a few years ago, to be honest. More than I can clearly remember, anyway.
 Chances are the stamp set is long discontinued, but it was a set of clear stamps from Woodware.
A lot of fairly small stamps, the image of the two polar bears I used is more or less 2" square, I extended it either side, using the snowballs image one side, and the snowy hillock the other. I added the little group of stars, bottom right of the set, a few times, then the main star above them.  It had been stamped in dark blue and heat embossed with clear powder. And that was as far as I'd got. I also knew that if I put them back in the box, they'd lie there for another few years, till I investigated the contents again, so decided to use them up.
I'd stamped 8 images to an A4 sheet, and I had 4 sheets.
Having found card blanks they'd fit on,I trimmed them all down to size, roughly 3 3/4" square. This does vary a tad, as it depended how high above the bears I'd stamped the star.



 I'm not a confident colourer at all, so decided I'd try the minimalist look- drawing a line around inside the image with ink, then dragging it in with a wet paintbrush.
 I used Distress Ink Tumbled Glass for this step.

Worked out better than I expected, and it seems a fairly easy way to add some colour.




 Now of course the sky area looked too stark, being white, so I needed to add some colour here too.
 I decided to try out just brushing on some ink with one of the super soft paintbrushes I'd bought from The Works.







I used Faded Jeans Distress Ink to start with , then added some Chipped Sapphire along the top edge and in the corners, just to give the sky some depth.








All finished, and you know when something comes out better than you expected?













Next touch was something I saw at Happy Stampers, on the Chloes Creative Cards stand.
 She had used a chisel tip glue pen to go around the outside edge of card panels, then sprinkled with Ultra Fine Glitter.
 I happened to have a Zig Chisel tip Glue Pen, so gave it a try.





I sprinkled mine with Glamour Dust. I wasn't sure how the Distress Ink might react to the glue, but it was fine. No colour spread at all.


Not sure how well it shows up, but there is a nice sparkle to them. Actually, if you click on the image to enlarge, you can see it quite well.






Now I needed a greeting, and this was a search for one the right size!
 In the end, it was one from Clevercut/Stamps Away, by Ali Reeve. I'd bought this one, which I'm pretty sure was a set of greetings stamps, including seasons Greetings,Congratulations and a couple of Birthday Sentiments, when we visited Happy Stampers in May.
 I used a slightly smaller brush to add Faded Jeans around the edges of these, then they too got the glue & Glamour Dust treatment.





All put aside for drying, although to be honest, the Zig glue dries so fast, it takes just a few minutes.







Mounted onto the front of a card blank, they are 6" x4", topfold.




Finishing touch was some tiny acrylic stars on top of the stamped ones, and silver Stickles for the main star.
 Tip here- lots of acrylic gems for nail art are the perfect size for this sort of thing.





Put aside for the Stickles to dry overnight.





All finished, and that's more stash busted, and another 32 cards to the box.

7 comments:

Helen said...

oh I love those polar bears!! the cards look fabulous, and well done for using up some stash. I will start soon,honest!

misteejay said...

What fabulous cards Shaz. They look wonderful.
Toni xx

bkazoo said...

Lovely cards, now I want a polar bear stamp set! Does make me think of Coke (it's a US Christmas time ad thing)



Barb said...

I remember those polar bears. Your cards look lovely Shaz. I've also been going through my Christmas stuff only an hour ago and pulled out lots of long ago stamped images that I intend to make up this year too! Barbxx

Krisha said...

These are perfect Shaz! They made me think of the Coke Christmas commercials too..........and I don't drink the stuff...LOL!

Christine said...

Very inspiring post! Thank you for the tip about the glue and glamour dust - ingenious!
x

Anonymous said...

Happy Belated WOYWW. Gorgeous cards - and 32 more in the box! I have made half of a card (all cut out and just need to stick it together and do an insert) so far. I promised to start in October, so at least I have stuck to that promise! Ali x #26

An End of an era

An end of an era

I write this with a broken heart, that only time can heal My beautiful, wonderful wifelet Shaz (Silverwolf) passed away peacefully in the ea...