A warm welcome to all my visitors,

Thank you for taking the time to come and look at my blog, I really do appreciate it. I would love you to leave me a comment, even if it’s just to say Hi. It means I can come visit you!

All my designs are original, so copyrighted to me. If I have been inspired by someone elses work, I have named them in the post, and where able, I have provided a link.

Please feel free to use my designs for inspiration, I just ask you to credit me, and provide a link back to my blog.

Thanks, Shaz XX

Monday 1 April 2019

Christmas Card Club #7- Santa

Late this week, but I'm finally here. This fortnights Challenge was set by Rita, and she wanted to see Santa on our cards.
 I've made a total of a dozen cards, in three different colours, and two designs.

 Not the most fantastic photos, sorry, but the silver EP and the Sparkly one do not play nicely with the camera lens!


  There are three green, three blue and 3 red.
 In each case I stamped then die cut with a tag die the Santa image, then die cut three more white tags and embossed each with a Christmas Embossing Folder.

I found it's better to die cut the tags, then emboss, rather than the other way round, as the embossing gets flattened going through the machine to die cut.


Made a small hit on my eyelet stash, to add one to hold each pair of tags together.

Added the tags to the card front with foam pads.




Two shades of Distress Oxides were blended over the edges.


I added Christmas Vellum to the card front, and found that if you use double sided adhesive sheet over the whole of the back of the vellum, it doesn't show. The drawback is- don't use textured card! You can see the problem you get with the red card, which was a hammer finish.












For the second design I used a stitched oblong die to cut out the stamped image and also an embossed piece the same size, then just adhered to the card. The embossed piece with DST, the image with foam tabs, just offsetting them slightly.





This Santa stamp is a really old one, it used to be wood mounted, so must be 15+ years old. I believe it was by Rubber Stampede.


This one, called St Nick, was also a rubber wood mounted stamp,so is also quite old, but it is available now as a clear stamp, part of a set from Butterfly Kisses, which can be bought from Hobby Art Stamps.
I'd originally added Vintage Photo DI around the edges on top of the colour, but it dulled it too far, so I ended up going over it with a second darker shade of the colour used.


On a side note, we see Santa in a Red suit these days, but pre-1930's, Tan or Green were the traditional colours. Thomas Nast, actually the artist who developed the Santa image we all know and love, then changed to painting him in a Red suit. This was spotted by an artist called Haddon Sundblom, who was commissioned to do a Christmas advert for Coca Cola, and he used Red as it tied in with that theme. And the rest is history!

9 comments:

cuilliesocks said...

Hi Shaz, what fabulous card, I love the designs and colours. The stamps are very detailed and add that look of texture and dimension.
Very interesting piece of information about Santa, didn't know any of this, thank you, Kate x

Zoe Tant said...

Super selection of cards Shaz. You have been busy. Doesn't your Santa have a lovely friendly face! Happy week Zoe x

Rainey's Craft Room said...

Fabulous designs and a fantastic number of cards too. Your Christmas card pile must be huge already :)
Lorraine

dutchess said...

What a great selection of cards and tags with your happy Santa’s....xxxx

Rita said...

Hi Shaz. One of my favourite stamps too. Love the idea of him using different colours. Fabulous cards. Hugs Rita xxxx

Mrs A. said...

Wow, bit of a production line going on here with these

Mrs A. said...

Well how rude, blogger snatched my comment before I had finished.!! I was going to say what fabulous Santas you have made. I have some eyelets and an eyelet maker that I have still to get grips with over how the darn thing works. Hugs Mrs A.

MaggieC (Silvercrafter) said...

I have not decided yet what to do about Christmas cards this year, with the rise in postage. However, that does not take away from those lovely cards you have made. It is a shame that the sparkly bits never show up. I love the blends of those oxides. xxx Maggie (Silvercrafter)

Elizabeth said...

Hi Shaz, fab cards and plenty of them. I think I'm doing well if I manage just the one. I like your vintage stamps and selection of colours too. Interesting information about the traditional colours. Like the April's Fool joke and like you I'd have loved to see her hubby's face. Have a great week. Hugs, Elizabeth x #31

An End of an era

An end of an era

I write this with a broken heart, that only time can heal My beautiful, wonderful wifelet Shaz (Silverwolf) passed away peacefully in the ea...