A warm welcome to all my visitors,

Thank you for taking the time to come and look at my blog, I really do appreciate it. I would love you to leave me a comment, even if it’s just to say Hi. It means I can come visit you!

All my designs are original, so copyrighted to me. If I have been inspired by someone elses work, I have named them in the post, and where able, I have provided a link.

Please feel free to use my designs for inspiration, I just ask you to credit me, and provide a link back to my blog.

Thanks, Shaz XX

Wednesday 23 January 2019

WOYWW #503- The Fairly Tidy Edition.

'Cos fairly tidy doesn't happen too often. Not very tidy, of course, just fairly.😁
 Wednesdays here again, so time for linking up at Julias place, The Stamping Ground, for another weeks desk baring & sharing.

 It's actually better now, as I've put the stamps away. And the inkpads. And the blending sponges.
 Which are packs of make up sponges from Primark. £2.50 for a pack of 4, 1 large, 2 medium & 1 small.
The Really Useful Box contains dried out-clean- baby wipes, for inking, the way Card-io do it, by blending over the edge of torn paper to produce hills.

 Which was what I was doing at the weekend, making some Christmas Cards for the Club.

 And glittering onto acetate. Well not acetate, but OHP film, which does the job just as well. Got a couple of boxes of it really cheap when our Staples was closing down.


I have to say, the Stamping Platform is ace for this technique, as normally when hand stamped with Staz-on onto film, the stamps have a tendency to slip or slide. Not a problem now.

 Don't know about anyone else, but over the years I've picked up lots of 'glitter glue kits', with bottles & fine nibs, but I always find the nibs clog, and the bottles can be really hard on the hands, needing quite a bit of pressure to squeeze.
 Back to my favourite enabler, Jennifer McGuire, who was talking about some cheap, soft bottles she'd bought on line. So I had a look, and found some on E-Bay. 
10x 10ml bottles, each with a fine nozzle & lid for £1.62. And they are a lovely soft, easy to squeeze bottle.

The lid is attached to the bottle, but I snip that through, otherwise I found it gets in the way. I've also put some Multi Matt Medium in one, and that works great too. And so far,when I've finished with it, I just poke a pin down the nozzle to make sure it's clear, then wipe it with a baby wipe, put the lid on, and not had any clogging at all.

 On the left, stamped image with the Platform.

 On the right, adding glue from those bottles.
Here, 3 of my glittered snowmen when they'd dried.
While we're sort of still on the subject of Staz-On, this acrylic block on the left is why you should never use Staz-on cleaner on them. This happened years ago, long before I learnt what was causing it. So I didn't clean my stamp on the platform, and I've kept this block just for doing that. I know Tim said that you could use anything on them other than acetone, but I'm not taking the chance!




Now, another tip, from another You Tuber. Been watching crafting videos from a guy called Simon Hurley. He's only a young guy,I'd say late teens probably, but is clearly going places, as I saw today he's now got a product line with Ranger at Creativation. 
 His channel is called INKLIPSE.
EDIT:   Actually just found out he's 16! Total respect to someone so young,especially being a lad.
 Anyway, I digress, as usual. He was talking about blending coloured pencils, and how he wasn't happy with the results using blending stumps with things like Gamsol, or Zest -It. What he did was take a Ranger Alcohol Ink Blending Pen, and fill it with the Zest It blender for pencils, and it worked like a charm. Bonus is, you have a solid tip and a brush tip, compared to just the pointy tip on a blending stump.




I can post this card now at the bottom here, as it won't show up on Facebook! This was the card I was working on last week, a Retirement card for a work colleague.









Which brings me to.......And Finally.......








                  ...ain't that the truth!

28 comments:

Helen said...

it is indeed...
another really useful post...like the look of those soft bottles! have a great week Helen #?

Tracey@Hotchpotchcreations said...

I love that LM snowman Shaz I have him as a wooden block rubber stamp, so handy for tags and cards. I think everyone I know received a card with him on in 2016. You'll find a multitude of uses for those bottles.
Happy woyww hugs Tracey #9

glitterandglue said...

Morning Shaz. Ouch!! Your "and finally", as usual, had me in tucks - but, oh my, it don't 'arf pull on the stitches!! I loved it though, despite...!!! Some really great fun cards - and so many hints and tips!! Well done, and thanks.
Take care. God bless.
Margaret #1

Neet said...

I cannot believe you are into such strong production of "C" Cards already. Gosh Shaz, you are a worker! Wish I had your dedication at the moment. Mind you I have decided I am making one |"C" card and repeating it over and over this coming year. Sort of production line.
I had some of those tiny bottles a bout three years ago but found they clogged. My friend in America was selling them ever so cheap and apparently they were the bottles used for refilling those Vape things. To be honest I did not clean them like you have said so maybe I should try again as they did give off a lovely fine line.
Hugs, Neet 8 xx

Sylvia/LittleTreasures said...

Thanks for the tip on the bottles.Not sure if the same Jennifer McGuire but the one I watch always has some good video's . The snowmen are what's happening all over this area. Kids out of school 3 days and sounds like more coming up. Yes 2 seconds and it's out of sight ! I am off to Inklipse Have a good week. Stay warm

Annie said...

I always love the way crafty folk are prepared to share their good ideas....such a generous bunch of people I'm lucky enough to call my friends.
Your and finally... this week had me chuckling cos I'm always losing things I'd had just a minute ago.
Hugs,
Annie x #10

Lunch Lady Jan said...

The And Finally applies to all areas of my life these days, not just crafting!! Sigh....still funny though :-D. I enjoyed your tutorials about techniques and really loved the way you got the hills and tree line so good on the cards. Great idea!
Hugs LLJ 14 xx

Debbie Rock said...

Have come across the young lad, Simon, & think he is brilliant too!
Still not crafting or doing anything remotely arty - other than continuing to pay Tim & Anna’s mortgages that is - but And Finally sure does apply here as Phil continues the kitchen refit - has been driving me potty!
Love all your hints & tips & the heads up on the products you find - forget Google ... just ask Shaz! Xxx

ShazInOzCardsCalligraphy said...

Where do you get your funnies, Shaz?? Ain’t that the truth indeed!!!
Yesterday I lost several times my sand eraser, so now it is covered in bright pink ink, so can’t miss it, in theory that is!! If only I could find my glue eraser, I’d do the same to it!!!!
Mm I wonder if regular ink blender pens would work just as well as that chunky looking one. I don’t like the size of it, saw it being used in a video so know it is big. I’ve small hands and it won’t suit them.
I’ve saved that glue thingy link.
Might get them if yours does NOT clog, I’m sick of buying them and they clog. Keep us posted.
Hugs and happy WOYWW,
Shaz in Oz.x #6

{Calligraphy Cards - Shaz in Oz}
{Wonderful Words Of Life - Shaz in Oz}

ShazInOzCardsCalligraphy said...

Oh and just checked the link and yes I too have seen Simon on his life hacks, and am amazed he’s only 16, soooo confident. I was scared to look sidewise at that age.

Marit said...

What a lovely blogpost to read with all kinds of tips, cards, links and such, thank you, and thank you for visiting my blog earlier. Have a great week! Love from Holland. Marit #20

Jan said...

Great work space have a great week xx Jan (21)

Christine said...

I so love reading your Blog, Shaz. Always some useful knowledge to learn, so kind of you to share .... have to pop into Primark when it opens (they have bought up a big shopping centre in town and transforming it into floors and floors of Primark).
Carry on the good work
Christine #24

MaggieC (Silvercrafter) said...

Lots of hints and tips today, Shaz. Thanks for sharing them. Those little bottles are good. I have one with PVA inside and it is so easy to apply tiny little dots of glue into exactly the right place.

I use the Pergamano Blender Pen and Nibs to blend my pencils, either dry (which can work very well) or with a touch of either Zest-It or Dorso Oil. However, the Ranger Blender Pen could work well with larger areas. I will dig mine out and try it.

I never use Staz On or the cleaner for anything. In fact, I threw mine out a long time ago. If I need to clean stamps or stamping platform, I use the Ranger Blending solution or surgical spirit, which both seem to be much kinder.

Oh and by the way, I am an expert in losing things I had in my hands 2 seconds ago. I always blame the Borrowers.
xxx Maggie (Silvercrafter)

Stacy Sheldon said...

HI Shaz, I will have to look for that pen :) ( you can melt pigments with a prisma colorless blender marker though, not the copic one for some unknown reason but, the prisma one works on pencil leads)
Love the snowman cards and that is really smart to clean those on the old block. ( I don't clean them on my platform either) :)

~Stacy #26

Caro said...

That desk is impressively tidy! I love the really cute snowman cards. Thanks for sharing. Take care and have a good week. With love and God Bless, Caro x (#27)

Kim said...

16! Yikes, I noticed he looked young, but I thought that was just me being old (now I don't feel so bad! LOL!) I haven't looked him up yet; I've actually tried to avoid any of the Creativation news, since I can't be tempted to spend money at this time. Well, Dina had some new paints and a small journal. And Tim and Dyan...ok, so I peeked a bit! LOL! I love that you are working on Christmas cards. I need to learn from you. Have a great week!
-K #27

Sarah Brennan said...

Definitely true Shaz. I do seem to spend a lot of time looking for things that were there a moment before. That's a great tip about the blending solution in the alcohol pen. I'm impressed that the crafter s only 16 too. Happy WOYWW. Sarah #4

Sue said...

Hi Shaz, Your cards are fab.

Thanks for stopping by my blog.

Happy WOYWW 503
Sue #2

StampinCarol said...

Love those snowmen cards!!! I haven't played with my Staz-On for a few years. Bet they're all dry by now. Good info about the bottles. I'm not a "glitter" person but do like glitter glues. I checked out Simon and ended up subscribing to his YouTube. Thanks for sharing about him! Your quote is perfect and so right on!!!! Thanks for popping by and have a great week!
Carol N #22

Julia Dunnit said...

Now those soft bottles make sense, I can’t count the number of flies I’ve abandoned because they’re too hard to squeeze once they’re about half used. Argh. Lovely cards, I think that is possibly the most popular snowman of all time round these parts, Shopkeeper Gal has done some equally lovely stuff with hers and she definitely considers it her ‘default’ Christmas image. I wrecked a block with the solvent cleaner too, and am a bit bossy about cleaning on even my cheapskate unbranded stamp platform!

Anne said...

Cute cards and lots of useful info, thanks. Thanks also for popping by and your kind words. Anne x #16

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Hi Shaz, loving the cards. Sorry i'm a bit late, still trying to get turned round after the holiday. France has plenty of snow in the Alps but thank goodness not like some areas. The place were we go are blasting the avalanches all the time before opening the runs but they don't seem to be a real problem. I love my flat iron, this one belonged to my grandmother but I have another one that I bought a couple of years ago from an antique show so they are still around. Thanks for the visit to mine and happy woyww (what's left of it), sending hugs, Angela x17x

jenni1st said...

Good info. Thanks for sharing.

Lindart said...

Love you snowman cards! Good tip for the glitter glue, I also have that problem (although for some reason I have lost my box of glitter glues!) The You Tube link was great, I have subscribed to this guy, he's awesome (he has the loveliest long fingers!)! Probably going to be the next Tim Holtz - I was wondering who would eventually replace him! Thanks for your visit, have a great week, Lindart #25

Twiglet said...

Brilliant - and finally - that's me most of the time! Great to hear of youngsters being so into arty crafty activities - one to watch, as you say. xx Jo

Kelly said...

Great info, Shaz! Beautiful cards. I enjoy seeing your art. I truly mean ART. Creative Blessings! Kelly #32

ALI said...

Fantastic tips Shaz, I've finally sourced an alcohol pen and wow I can blend.
I love the snowman! x

An End of an era

An end of an era

I write this with a broken heart, that only time can heal My beautiful, wonderful wifelet Shaz (Silverwolf) passed away peacefully in the ea...