A warm welcome to all my visitors,

Thank you for taking the time to come and look at my blog, I really do appreciate it. I would love you to leave me a comment, even if it’s just to say Hi. It means I can come visit you!

All my designs are original, so copyrighted to me. If I have been inspired by someone elses work, I have named them in the post, and where able, I have provided a link.

Please feel free to use my designs for inspiration, I just ask you to credit me, and provide a link back to my blog.

Thanks, Shaz XX

Thursday 17 November 2016

Honey Doo Hexagon Cards

 These turned out to be way more work than expected! :)
  
 I decided to make a batch of birthday cards, and these are the first two.I have a die set for cutting hexagons, actually, a couple of sets, this one is the CreaLies XXL die set, and I used the largest die to cut out the image. The Spellbinders ones I have don't go up anywhere near this large. These are about 5" across at the widest point.





Once I'd cut out the image, I ended up drawing round it, then using a steel edged ruler to cut the next matting sheet, and so on.



Cutting the card blank was a whole new ball game though.Working out what size blank I needed to start with, then how much border I wanted. Good job it was all straight lines, is all I can say.




I stamped up a handful of various Honey Doo images, on cardstock and on vellum, for the flowers.






As mentioned in the WOYWW post, I brought out some old friends to play with. These pads are at least 10 years old, probably more, and apart from the gold one, have never yet been reinked, but are still as good as when I bought them.





As I don't have either White or Red in the Encore- not even sure if they have any-I added a couple of Brilliance pads in, again, had these for donkeys years, and they are still great.

 I heat embossed the images using Stampendous Crystal EP. All except the Gold, for that I used a WOW powder called Jingle Bells, one of their Embossing Glitters.


Next problem was going to be keeping all the flowers I cut out in their respective designs, so I didn't get them muddled. Cue something lying around in a drawer. Those packs of disposable trays for parties, meant for nibbles.





Perfect. All cut out, and gently shaped. Not easy to shape vellum, as it doesn't stretch like ordinary paper.











I trimmed down the stamped images in an assortment of ways, either with dies, or using a fancy blade on my trimmer.






I matted up the hexagon images first, then moved onto the card base. As you can see, the fold is at the left side here, and I nearly mucked it up at the first attempt! , So, rotated the card and image till I could get one side at a fold, and that turned it into a top fold card.


    I ended up making myself a few templates for matting layers and card bases, for the next time I think this is a good idea! Wasn't really too hard, just getting the dimensions right to leave the right size border all round, and then getting that from a square card blank.

It was just after I matted these two up, I realised I'd forgotten to add a sentiment, and  using a heat tool on something with DST on, tends to make it peel. So, unembossed stamping it was then.
 You can tell how much winging it goes on here, can't you?






Finished off the flowers with a spot of Glossy Accents, and some seed beads for the centres, then attached them to the image with another spot  of Glossy Accents.

5 comments:

Heidi MyLittleStampingBlog said...

I just have to say WOW! The hexagon shape is so unexpected and these cards are really quite elegant in the black and white color combo!

Thanks so much for stopping by my blog the other day. I am happy you left a comment so I could come check out your work!

Christine Harrop said...

Super card Shaz. I too have about four Encore metallic pads which have been in my stash for far longer than 10 years. Like you, I have never had to re-ink them and they are still juicy. Definitely quality!! Christine x

Heather said...

They might have been more work than expected, but it looks like they were totally worth it! They're gorgeous!

Ginny Maxam said...

Hi Shaz, Love your cards, especially the white on black! I have those ink pads too, and they are still like new after 8 years!!

cuilliesocks said...

Stunners Shaz, beautifully designed, Kate x

An End of an era

An end of an era

I write this with a broken heart, that only time can heal My beautiful, wonderful wifelet Shaz (Silverwolf) passed away peacefully in the ea...