A warm welcome to all my visitors,

Thank you for taking the time to come and look at my blog, I really do appreciate it. I would love you to leave me a comment, even if it’s just to say Hi. It means I can come visit you!

All my designs are original, so copyrighted to me. If I have been inspired by someone elses work, I have named them in the post, and where able, I have provided a link.

Please feel free to use my designs for inspiration, I just ask you to credit me, and provide a link back to my blog.

Thanks, Shaz XX

Wednesday 24 February 2016

Lavinia Toadstools and SU Woodgrain.

So, this is the completed card that was knocking about on Wednesdays desk.
 To be honest, this wasn't exactly what I'd planned when I started. It sort of grew as I went along. I was going to say it mushroomed, but that would have been a terrible pun.










  It started out with the Stampin Up Woodgrain stamp, onto a sheet of white pearl card, using DI Gathered Twigs, and adding some extra markings along the plank lines & around the knots using the Ground Espresso marker.












 Next up some grasses along the bottom, and I used some stamps from an Inkylicious set called Essential Grasses, and a few shades of green from Adirondack.


Then I made a light mark across the top of the planks, about a half inch down, and cut the triangle peaked boards.









 I used a Vintage Photo Distress marker to colour all the edges, including the peaks. Tip here, if you are doing this sort of edging with a marker pen, work with the marker at the back. That way, if the marker slips- and I can pretty much guarantee it always does for me- the resulting line will be on the back of your piece, not the front.


Next I added some Lavinia Stamps Toadstools at the bottom, and also stamped out some Lavinia Spotty Toadstools to colour,both in Versafine Onyx Black. This is where it went off plan, as I hadn't intended to add cut out toadstools until now, but I'd sort of got the 'Fairies at the bottom of the garden' idea in my head.






First off I used a couple of H2O's, a purple and a blue, intending to do the toadstools in two colours and blend them in the middle.
Not too bad, but the blend didn't go as well as I'd hoped. I think it was the wrong type of card for the idea, to be fair. It sort of started to pill a bit. So I swapped to Distress Markers, and did a couple of different blends- a pink/red, and I've also tried a yellow/orange  which worked quite well.
The Spotty Toadstools is a pair of stamps, one large, one small. As much as possible I tried to leave the spots blank, but I think next time- and I've just realised this while typing- it would be easier to dot the spots with masking fluid first. My plan anyway was to cover the spots with Liquid Pearls in White Opal.





It does give a nice sheen to the spots, and afterwards I decided to add a little Diamond Stickles on top for a bit of shimmer.


With the toadstools stuck in place, I stamped the two small fairies, again Lavinia Stamps. You can't see it in the picture, but I also added some tiny dots of Diamond Stickles as fairy dust falling from their hands.
The whole panel was matted onto black, then red card, then mounted onto a  Black card blank.
Final touch was to stamp the Lavinia Stamps word stamp, 'Those who don't believe in magic will never find it', onto a scrap of white pearl card, then matt the same as for the main image.

10 comments:

RosA said...

Hi Shaz
Love what you have done with that woodgrain stamp. Oh dear, I think I'm probably going to need it too :) Still love my H2Os, as well.
Have a good week and thanks for dropping by,
RosA

Aimeslee Winans said...

Thanks for the tip - oh yes, hand-slipper here (she says as she raises her hand in a slippery fashion). I think your detours are well-worth the effort. I'm usually not into fairies, but I do have gnomes and mushrooms and little houses and a fairy or two among my stamps, and I should try to use them. Pretty ignorant about them though, can gnomes and fairies be mixed together? Can a fairy use a gnome house? Inquiring card maker minds want to know, lol. xoxo

Helen said...

love the finished card - great toadstools! good tips for colouring them too.

SusanLotus said...

Lovely cards! And cool to see how you make them.
I´m not a good stamper so I learn by watching how others do.
Sussie

Elizabeth said...

Hi Shaz, just wanted to thank you once again for your advice on my camera problem. A new memory disk arrived today and you were right, the old one was no longer working properly. So happy that my camera is back in action again.

Your card is beautiful. I love Lavinia stamps, so much so, I have quite a few in my stash. I like the way you take us through your method of making the card too - very clear and helpful.

Hope you are taking care and still resting lots. Hugs, Elizabeth xx

Sharon Madson said...

Thank you for your earlier visit. #70 And thank you for showing us how you made this wonderful card! I have that EF, and love the idea of making it look like a fence!

Bridget Larsen said...

love that fence stamp and the toad stills
Bridget #8

Kyla said...

Great idea with the woodgrain stamp. It is so disappointing when blending doesn't quite work out, and you are right, it is often down to the wrong sort of paper.
The liquid pearls work really well and help them 'pop'

Thanks for visiting my desk already
Kyla #6

Annie Claxton said...

Hi Shaz, sorry to be so late visiting this week! Those stamps look fab and I love what you've done with them, they work so well together, beautiful! Have a lovely weekend xxx Annie C #73

Twiglet said...

Better late than never! Glad I got here a bit late and saw your finished toadstools if you pardon the expression!! They are beautiful - great result, I think. x Jo

An End of an era

An end of an era

I write this with a broken heart, that only time can heal My beautiful, wonderful wifelet Shaz (Silverwolf) passed away peacefully in the ea...