A warm welcome to all my visitors,

Thank you for taking the time to come and look at my blog, I really do appreciate it. I would love you to leave me a comment, even if it’s just to say Hi. It means I can come visit you!

All my designs are original, so copyrighted to me. If I have been inspired by someone elses work, I have named them in the post, and where able, I have provided a link.

Please feel free to use my designs for inspiration, I just ask you to credit me, and provide a link back to my blog.

Thanks, Shaz XX

Saturday 27 January 2018

Transfer Foil with DST

Right, I saw this technique last week in a You Tube Video by GinaK Designs, from Stamp TV. If you've not seen any of her videos, do give them a look. She makes some really beautiful cards- using her own products, but  can be made by substituting what you have to hand.
 Anyway, she was promoting her own line of Transfer Foils, and made a card like this, using Double Sided Tape, instead of heat transfer with a laminator.
 You need a panel of cardstock cut to fit your base card, and in hindsight I'd recommend leaving it slightly larger than you want, so you can trim it down after adding the foil, to give you nice crisp edges.
 You can probably also see here that I started off with a scrap piece of linen effect card. Again, in hindsight- and I did swap to plain card part way through- use a smooth cardstock, as the foil doesn't transfer very smoothly onto a textured cardstock.



 I started adding my DST in the centre, diagonally across the card, then working out to the edges, alternating the tape between a very narrow one, and one slightly wider.
 You do need to make sure you burnish the tape down really well. Especially at the ends. Trim off the excess when you get to this stage.

When you're done, it will look like this. I didn't measure a specific gap between the tapes, just eyeballed it.



This blue one is what I started with, but it wasn't working great due to the surface texture.
 Starting in one corner, peel off the backing to one strip of tape, and press your chosen colour of foil down firmly, and again, burnish well, a bone folder/ spoon works well for this.





It's better to work a line at a time, as that will produce less waste on the foil, as what is left on the sheet probably won't be wide enough to use anywhere else.





 Working your way across the cardstock, you will end up with this.
 You may need to trim the edges slightly to neaten them up afterwards.



Something else I'd done a while back was to laminate some scrap card with Stencil Paste, just swiped across with a palette knife, then covered in foil sheets and laminated, to give me something I could die cut sentiments from.
 Here I die cut a Crealies Happy Birthday die, and hand cut a small banner from scrap black card to mount it on.

  I added the banner with a little DST & a Copper Brad to match the foil. The whole panel was then matted onto a piece of black cardstock before mounting onto the A5 card front.


 You can see how the foil reacts to different light, the Copper foil  showing Purples & Greens from this angle.

 Photo from a slightly different angle again.


So, tips to help with this:
  1.  Burnish the DST down really well. 
  2. Burnish the Foil well too- but take care not to catch the previous rows of foil.
  3. Leave your panel slightly oversize, and trim when you're finished.
  4. Use Smooth cardstock!
  5.  Make sure you go off the edges with the DST then trim off the excess- if you rip the tape too short, any join will make a bump in the foil.

5 comments:

Heather M said...

Hi Shaz. Nice card! I love the foils! Thanks for sharing, Heather xx

Aimeslee Winans said...

Beautiful card! Thanks for the tutorial! xoxo

Sarah Brennan said...

I'll have to give this a try. Thanks Shaz.

Julia Dunnit said...

Great results Shaz, and top tips, thank you! Wil, give this a go at some point. Far more likely than me ever ever getting the laminator out of the attic! !

Shaz in Oz.CalligraphyCards said...

Excellent ideas love Gina Ks videos but time poor means haven’t seen it!
Thanks for sharing and for popping over too!
Shaz in Oz.x

{Calligraphy Cards - Shaz in Oz}

An End of an era

An end of an era

I write this with a broken heart, that only time can heal My beautiful, wonderful wifelet Shaz (Silverwolf) passed away peacefully in the ea...