A warm welcome to all my visitors,

Thank you for taking the time to come and look at my blog, I really do appreciate it. I would love you to leave me a comment, even if it’s just to say Hi. It means I can come visit you!

All my designs are original, so copyrighted to me. If I have been inspired by someone elses work, I have named them in the post, and where able, I have provided a link.

Please feel free to use my designs for inspiration, I just ask you to credit me, and provide a link back to my blog.

Thanks, Shaz XX

Wednesday 14 April 2021

WOYWW 618 - the hublets desk

 Well its that time of the week again, and I very almost didn't blog as I haven't done any paper crafting at all. What I have been doing instead is working, working towards my career as an IT teacher, so my desk this week is just that, my desk, but not the one you have seen before I don't think, you see, I have an additional desk that I use for demos, where I show students tech, what the stuff is and how it works, they will typically get an areal view from an overhead camera out of shot bringing in the camera for close ups. 

The view behind the image is unfinished decorating from a couple of years ago for the hall and stairs I never got round to finishing. 



The desk is set up for this mornings class, we are about to go over networking hence the cables and things laid out to hand. This stuff will get swapped out for the evenings class as we going over hardware with them. So yes, two classes, one at 09:30 -12:30 and then 18:00 until 21:00 it is keeping me busy again and i feel its what I need right now.

But, while it has not been used for that I have put it to good use, we have had a dremel for many years, what I didn't own was the long flexible shaft for the extra control, nor did I have the stand the dremel is suspended from.

The reason I made the purchase is of course who else could I entrust in the correcting of  the mistake on Sharon's urn? 

So that cup you see in the image is what I have been practicing on, it dawned on me as I was lay in bed (mithering) as you do, and had a eureka moment, that lettering in white would be ideal to practice on.

The cup was destined for the bin as the one side of the handle had came away.


So I am learning to engrave (still not quite happy with it but I have a lot of time to perfect it) I can't actually see that well extremely close up. 

You would think being long sighted and short sighted would cancel each other out?

I digress...

So I feel another purchase is on the cards, a hands free magnifier for that super intricate stuff 

The metallic sharpies I have had for years but I feel the tip is too fat, (the artist that made the mistake is sending one over and I have had a partial refund and apology) I have come to the conclusion that the ink they used was the gold and not the bronze.

OMG that used to be a garden


So no paper crafting as yet, I am not sure when I will have the time either as I need/wanted to work on the garden so I can do a memorial garden. We had planned a while ago to sort the bottom of the garden (the jungle) so that we could sit down there and just relax.




Believe it or not this are the same area a few hours and many scratches later, all that shrubbery (love that word...Shrubbery) was mostly bramble, it all got shredded not burnt, in fact anything that was live did, only the dry stuff got incinerated.


At the very bottom of the garden will go a rather large workshop/summerhouse/shed with a large pathed area in front of it and a nice water feature.
or at least that is the plan.

Anyway that is it from me, its late and I need to get to bed (yes I am typing this the night before) don't we all?

So thats my desk, do head over to our Julia's Stamping ground and share yours for Whats On Your Workdesk Wednesday  

Random pic of the bird, this from 2014 Kos


So that just leaves the and finally..




22 comments:

Annie said...

I’ve really enjoyed seeing where you work Doug...that’s a craft in itself. I don’t papercraft either so join the club. Love the idea of a summerhouse/workshop at the bottom of the garden...that’s where the fairies can live (we always had fairies at the bottom of the garden as children and our Dad actually put posters up in their summerhouse with fairies on them 🥰🥰🥰). It’s good to see you keeping busy.
Hugs,
Annie x #13

Lynn Holland said...

I love a desk with all sorts of stuff I’d be picking up and putting down. Don’t think you’d be right happy with me doing that Doug, especially just before a class haha. Hope all goes well.
Don’t worry about paper crafting that never happens on my desk. In fact this week I’m showing a garden pond.
Take care, I’m enjoying your blogging
Lynn xx 16

Twiglet said...

You always write so beautifully Doug which is great. I can imagine you at your IT desk being really patient with your pupils (if they are anything like me with techy stuff you will need all the patience in the world!) The garden project sounds fab and will be hard work but well worth it - I am chuckling about Annie's comment about fairies at the bottom of our family home garden - she always had a vivid imagination!) Take care and stay safe. x Jo

Morti said...

Hi Doug... I've just caught up with your posts having been awol from the hop for a few weeks. We last David's Dad on Easter Sunday, but you'll probably have seen that from FB.

I had to LOL at WOYWW 616 where you'd bought those tree stamps... the enabler lives on.

When you get a free minute, would you come and catalogue my stamps? There's about a 1000 here need recording. Maybe more. It was 700 last time I counted, about 10 years ago... oh dear....

Keep well, keep smiling, keep gardening, and.... get that hallway sorted!

Morti xx

Morti said...

Lost. We LOST David's Dad. Sigh.

Lunch Lady Jan said...

I can imagine that you are an AWESOME teacher Doug, great skills that you’re passing on because you are the son of that tech wizard in the And Finally!! I think it’s great that you’re going to alter the mistake yourself, you have the skills for sure. I sympathise with the sight, I’m as short sighted as hell but have to wear reading glasses over my contact lenses when crafting or on the iPad...sigh....
Great job in the garden too, it’s going to look amazing!
HUgs LLJ 5 xxx

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Oh Doug! you would love it as an IT teacher you just have to watch the little devils as they manage to get on to lots of stuff they really shouldn't and I know this from experience but it was funny really though I didn't tell them that Lol! Have a very happy and creative woyww. Hugs, Angela x17x

Zsuzsa Karoly-Smith said...

The memory garden sounds lovely and it will probably be therapeutic working towards it as well. Great idea to practice the engraving on an old mug, those 14s look pretty good to me already. Best wishes with your new career prospects to teach IT - I'm sure there's always a great demand for that and you would make a great teacher, perhaps working in a college or with apprentices? Lovely photo of Shaz too xx zsuzsa #24

Sarah Brennan said...

Oh you must be so brilliant as an IT teacher Doug. You have just the right way of making things interesting and clear. Hope all the engraving practice pays off. Funny that we have had a similar time in the garden in the last week. I do look forward to seeing your new relaxation area when it is finished. Stay safe and happy WOYWW. Sarah #7

Shaz in Oz.CalligraphyCards said...

Hi Doug.. just penning this or rather typing it before I turn into a pumpkin it's that late.

Well the computer images aren't entirely strange, as my dad built about three of his computers from scratch, he was a maths nerd.. I missed out on that tho!
The engraving is an art in itself and I totally commend a magnifier, I've a clip on one for my calligraphy, and wouldn't be without it. Think you've mastered the 14, from mug, but it maybe need to be smaller from what I recall on urn.
Wow! the garden's going to be great.. that bramble is mean to poor old skin..so good its gone.. enjoy your wrestling it all into shape.

Thanks for sharing, Doug, it's great to read, especially love the funny! Very apt!
..and may God bless, thinking praying for UK lockdown to be successful this time around, keep safe and well.
Prayer hugs, Shaz in Oz. X

{Wonderful Words of Life - Shaz in Oz}
{Calligraphy Cards - Shaz in Oz}

Lisa-Jane said...

As a technophobe I can tell you that your desk is scary! Well done on the shrubbery ;-) Stay safe and keep smiling, Lisa-Jane #8

Lindart said...

Wow, a man of many talents! Your engraving looks great, I'm sure you can see all the mistakes, but I can't! Here's hoping your awesome plans for the garden pan out, it sounds wonderful! Lovely photo of Shaz, have a great week, Lindart #30

My name is Cindy said...

Wow, as if we weren't in awe your technical abilities already - I'm impressed by the mat alone! Good to see you are getting on with the 'shrubbery' (my mind is chanting - we are the knights who say 'Ni'). I'm sure you'll do a wonderful job on the engraving - and it will be even more personal. Have a good week, stay safe, stay well, love n hugs Cindyxx #12

Catriona said...

How lovely to see your desk and how organised you are for teaching-successful teaching is 90% preparation and your students will appreciate your lessons very much. X

Caro said...

Loving seeing your workspace for a change and I am so impressed with your embossing work. Happy WOYWW. Take care and stay safe. With love & God Bless, Caro x (#15)

Helen said...

Lovely to see your other desk, and that you are keeping busy (and wanting to) - well done on a great job starting the garden/shrubbery (I agree, a great word, very Monty Pythonesque) Take care Helen #2

cuilliesocks said...

Hi Doug, gosh that desk looks to business, all very complicated. It's good that you are keeping busy, and sounds like you've got various projects to keep you going, Kate x

Julia Dunnit said...

Well Doug your desk looks about the most complicated thing I’ve ever seen, apart from what’s under the bonnet of the car! I bet you teach with patience and humour and I bet your students get a whole lot from your sessions. Having them back to work on will certainly give your days some structure in terms of preparation and delivery, I expect a bit of routine feels good in that it’s something familiar. Gosh, you do t do anything half hearted do you? a work like that on the garden in one day would have me unable to move for stiff muscles! Made me laugh at the word shrubbery. Don’t hear it that often, is it a bit too middle class a word now?!!!

Mary Anne said...

What a nice surprise to see YOUR desk. Reminds me of the contrast between my desk and my hubby's - his is all multiple screens (about 12, with all the devices) and cables and tech of all sorts and mine is all ink pads and stamps and gel plates. Your garden work looks HARD but sometimes it is just what you need to clear your mind. Good luck with your studies - I agree with all who say you will be brilliant at it. I recall you helping people thru tech issues at the crops and your patience was a blessing to frazzled croppers.
Socially distanced knitting in the garden yesterday so TODAY is WOYWW for me!
Mary Anne (3)

Shoshi said...

A great post, Doug. Lovely to see your own personal desk. That's very interesting mat you've got covering the desk. It looks as if you are making good progress with the engraving practice, and what a good idea to do it on an old mug. It must be hard working on something so 3-D and curved but definitely the right shape to practise on. The Dremel with its extension looks amazing. I hope your IT training is going well. You will be an awesome teacher! You are going to be the wizard behind the software lol! (Love the And Finally!) I wish I had your patience... my hubby is an absolute dunce where tech is concerned, and while I don't know half of what you know, I know a lot more than he does, so I often have to sort stuff out for him, and I find it so exasperating! Mostly it's because his computer is such a mess, with tons of stuff dumped on the desktop and no organisation - but then his real desk is like that too lol! I don't know how he can live like that...

Your garden is going to be so lovely once it's done, and what a brilliant idea to create a memorial garden. I hope you will continue to share photos of the progress of the work. I am sure you are right, that keeping busy is key in these early days, and it's such a good thing to be focusing on.

Happy belated WOYWW,
Shoshi x #18

Stacy Sheldon said...

oh that is cool ( and interesting) to see your actual work desk, and the progress on the garden space looks like you got a lot done too. :) (and nope, I actually do not type mine the night before but, I am in such a different time zone it hardly matters) ~Stacy #29

Susan Renshaw said...

Glad you are keeping busy!
Susan # 26

An End of an era

An end of an era

I write this with a broken heart, that only time can heal My beautiful, wonderful wifelet Shaz (Silverwolf) passed away peacefully in the ea...