A warm welcome to all my visitors,

Thank you for taking the time to come and look at my blog, I really do appreciate it. I would love you to leave me a comment, even if it’s just to say Hi. It means I can come visit you!

All my designs are original, so copyrighted to me. If I have been inspired by someone elses work, I have named them in the post, and where able, I have provided a link.

Please feel free to use my designs for inspiration, I just ask you to credit me, and provide a link back to my blog.

Thanks, Shaz XX

Sunday 7 February 2021

Pain what pain?




Where to start ? 

First of thank you to all the best wishes, your kind words mean a lot, last time I looked there were 17 comments now we are over 50 xx

Sharon's first Chemo session went well, due to the type of chemo she is at risk of loosing her awesome hair, so we have opted to try the ice cap treatment, this meant they would need to protect the scalp and hair with a generous helping of pre conditioner.

The chemo took longer than we both had anticipated, but they did take wonderful care of her.



Now here's the thing, when you can't get up two flights of stairs to where the shower is you improvise


So out comes the  single air bed, and a quick Amazon order for a hair washing bouncy castle thing and hey presto, the easiest stress-free way to wash someone's hair while they chill out in front of a fire.



This was not a small feat for Shaz to get down onto the floor or back up again, but I think it's fair to say she felt so much better for it x



Post Chemo, now this was where things went down hill, not as a direct result of the chemo,  but more of a result of the blood test they did, 



You see Sharon's haemoglobin levels were really low, so they had arranged for us to come back the next day for a transfusion of 2 units (did not know what a unit of blood was before now, apparently about 450-500ml) anyway, during the transfusion there were concerns over Sharon's blood pressure not coming up which I can understand, it makes sense, when you add something like air to a tyre you would expect at some point the tyre pressure would rise?

Brooksie logic, I can follow this, "consequently this get Shaz here for 09.10am, so we can start it off" actually meant we won't be starting until 10.30, and we will continue anyway. 

During some of our calls back and forth Shaz comments that she thinks her flip flow valve may have been left off on her urinary catheter (has a leg bag for long times between toilet visits or hospital stints) as she feels wet, she checks the valve and all is fine, so she ignores it (big mistake as we will find out later)

Sorry where was I?  Oh, yeah the down hill bit...

So eventually I pick Shaz back, and I can smell Iron, and something else that we kind of expect due to how long she has been out for (we would have changed her pad at least once, maybe twice by now) but this has not been done, at all. In fact, I ended up setting a reminder every 3.5 hours to wake me to change the pad throughout the night as it had been burning her (her bits glow in the dark they had got that sore) Sudocrem needs to come in larger tubs as the 400g only last a few days, and it does not stick to extremely burnt skin I have found.

As a consequence of the fissure, and the (sinus the opening on her posterior) a hell of a lot of the blood had simply been escaping into her tummy, and flushing her out on its way through, continuing to do so today only to a lesser extent.

Her tummy was hard with the pressure, she ended up backed, and 2 days later after vomiting a few times, 2 days after the chemo started (the next day after the blood transfusion) we are back at the same hospital to remove the chemo pump, we mention the issue we had when we left and the now constant need to keep changing pads and that the blood was running out of her but...

So apparently i don't do maths?   1+1=3 then, I always thought it was 2 but nope....

The blood transfusion is not the cause (according to the doctor I spoke to, it's her other blood levels that are causing it)
The ward we were in had no actual abdominal doctors (chemo ward) there was nothing the doctor could do about it, (nor did she offer to examine her) but instead berated us for not calling the help number in the book, or going to A&E  and offered to call ahead to them and instructed us to head over to there which we did.

Now bear in mind this is a day later so when we were seen by the doctor at A&E within 10 minutes  I might add (much more impressive) we had just changed her pad an hour or so before, this meant the doc found no issues, he did give her IV antibiotics and glucose to bring her potassium levels down, and let us go home again.

Shaz has been fine but weak since, she spent a night on the sofa to gain her strength and then managed to get up to bed, which is where she has been since. She is eating OK, and hates the word hydrate lol

But she has started to get some crap on her chest that she is struggling to shift, it never quite comes up enough to cough it up, so she is elevated a little in bed with extra pillows to help her sleep.

It is so sticky though, it is a side effect of the chemo and the medication she is on, so I am monitoring it.


Shaz is still extremely positive as am I we have to be, and your encouraging words really do help.
I think the post is long enough, possibly too long, I just want to keep you as informed as possible without writing it in book/diary form lol



As for the title of the post, pain is fully under control, it just means Shaz is sleeping most of the time, this we are going to address/ballance.


Much love to you all from the both of us xxx
Doug

Can't end without a silly

And finally (shaz would be displeased if I forget this)

50 comments:

Annie said...

Thanks so much for keeping us in the loop Doug. Energy saving mode sounds good for you both. You are going through so much that you both must rest when you can. Have you tried Canestan for the raw sore bits cos it sounds very much like the antibiotics have caused thrush?
Sending you both much love and hugs,
Annie x

Barbara Ellis said...

Blessings on you both, you are a fighting team❤️❤️

My name is Cindy said...

What a team you are. Hope to hear of continued improvements and rest for both of you, energy saving mode is def the way to go. Thank you for the update. Love n hugs to you both xx Cindy

Lunch Lady Jan said...

Thank you for taking the time to let everyone know Doug, we do appreciate it as we’re all thinking about you and wish we could do more to help. I’m really glad that Shaz isn’t in pain but hope that the soreness is brought under control. Annie’s tip about Canestan is a good shout. I hope that Shaz doesn’t lose her hair, it’s so much part of her, but have heard that the ice cap treatment is very effective in helping reduce loss about chemo. I hope you manage to get some rest now as well, You’re doing a fantastic job but we don’t want you going band either.
Thank you for the And Finally as well, made me laugh and continues the tradition xx
Hugs LLJ xxxxx

Kathyk said...

Wishing Shaz all the very best - look after yourself too Doug

Kathyk

cuilliesocks said...

Hi Doug and thank you for the post keeping us up to date with Shaz's progress.
You are an amazing man coping with all of this as is your lovely wife, so very brave with all she is going through just now, and what she has done in the past. I hope the chemo helps her and without loosing her wonderful hair. It's good to hear that Shaz is not in pain, and sleep is a great healer. Now don't you forget to take care of yourself too,
Sending you both HUGS, Kate x

dutchess said...

Thanks again for the update Doug...it can’t be easy for you to write but I am so glad Shaz is not in pain....please tell her I am thinking of you both....xxxx

Neet said...

I love that picture of Shaz waiting to have her hair washed. What a treasure you are Doug. (Not checked your bum so can't say you are 'Rear of the Year' but you are certainly 'Hubby of the Year' again.) I can imagine the thought of Shaz losing her lovely long locks would send not just you two but all of us into panic. I'll add for that cap to work to my prayers for you both.
Well, what a time you have had of it, and now we are all hoping the chemo can help her. My mum always used to say "Sleep is a healer" and she really believed in it so let's hope that it helps Shaz get over this although I suspect the chemo has something to do with her sleeping too.
Sorry to hear she has a sore bottom, I can imagine it must be raw with all that she has gone through and wearing those pads won't help but they are necessary, I understand that. Just keep plastering the cream on and when it heals up it might be useful to think of using some Vaseline. I use it on my cracked heels but the podiatrist says it is only a barrier. It helps if I get cracks at the side of my lips - I put some on at night and they are healed in the morning. If I can think of anything else that might help I'll be back.
In the meantime take care the two of you, you need your rest in between so make sure you get some. Wish I lived closer so I could at least help out with food on the doorstep.
Love to you both, Neet xx

Elizabeth said...

Thank you for the update, Doug. I don't know how you are finding the time but it's much appreciated that you do. It's a relief to hear that Shaz is not in pain and that the chemo has been started. I really hope the ice cap treatment works and she doesn't lose her hair at all. Thanks for the funnies - we've missed the 'and finally' moments. Don't forget to take care of yourself too and much love to you both. Hugs, Elizabeth xx

Helen said...

Thanks for the update, Doug; and much love to you both. I hope you are taking care of yourself as well as Shaz. I can only echo what the others have said. xx Helen

The Hardy Stamper said...

Thank you for the update Doug. I have been thinking of you both all week and hoping that things were going well. You are doing a wonderful job looking after Shaz but take care of yourself too. Much love to you both x

Anne said...

Hello both. So good to get
the update. You two are amazing!! You are in my thoughts and prayers. Hang in there! Lots of Love. Anne xxx

Anonymous said...

Shell here.... big , gentle cyber hugs to you both, but an especially big one for you, Shaz. A shitty hand to be dealt! I hope the chemo will ultimately give results.

Shoshi said...

Hi Doug, thank you so much for taking the time and trouble and using valuable energy resources to write this to keep us all up to date with what is going on. I am glad Shaz has had the chemo but very sorry to hear about the other complications. You are such a wonderful nurse. So loving and patient and caring and gentle... I love the picture of Shaz having her hair washed in that great contraption - nothing like a bouncy castle for keeping one's spirits up! What a tremendous blessing it was when you two discovered each other - you make the most brilliant team. You know that we are all thinking of you and those of us who pray are doing so! As I always say to my hubby when I've been poorly, don't forget to look after yourself. Shaz needs you to be physically and emotionally strong, and you won't be able to keep that up without decent rest. I so admire your upbeat optimism to find a funny to close your posts with! I can soooo identify with this particular one!!

With love and so many blessings and hugs for you both, you dear people,
Shoshi xxxxx

Gibmiss said...

Hi Shaz and Doug .....
Thanks for the update .... you are doing a wonderful job .....
think of you a lot ....
Hugs And Kisses...
Sylvie xxxxxx😘😘🐵🐒

Christine said...

Thank you Doug
Love you both. I don't have any funnies but appreciate yours.... did I tell you that I always came on facebook last thing at night.. Peter and I looked forward to your funnies to end the day....
((((HUGS))))

Aimeslee Winans said...

Thanks, Doug! However you need to post, please do. Longer better than shorter as we all want news of our dear Shaz. I'm so glad she has such a good partner. Please give her a hug for me. I'm continuing my prayers for the chemo to help. Hugs! xoxo

Twiglet said...

I think the others have said it all - you are doing an awesome job of caring for that lovely lady. Sending you both our very best wishes and lots of love. The "funny" is perfect. Keep strong and powered up! Hugs xxx Jo

Sharon Madson said...

Great funny. You are so good to keep us informed. I wasn’t even aware until, today, and I am sorry to hear what Shaz and you are going through. I am glad to hear about Shaz and your optimism. That is good medicine. Sending hugs, and praying for the best for you.

Diana Taylor said...

Thank you so much for keeping us up to date Doug - I'm glad to hear Shaz is not in any pain and I hope the sores heal up soon. I love the pic of her having her hair done, what an ingenious little 'sink'. You are doing a fantastic job in caring for Shaz and it sounds like you are both doing a fantastic job keeping each others spirits up - a true team. I love the funny, in true Shaz style!
Sending lots of love and gentle hugs to you both.
Diana xx

Magic Maggie said...

I'm sorry I have never met either of you in person, but evertheless, I automatically love you both. Shaz looks really content to be getting her hair done - and why not!! Onwards and upwards - and I truly mean it when I say you are in my thoughts.
Love
Maggie (Bendy Yorkite) - (Bendycat is a bit of an Ambrose size-like)

Unknown said...

Thank you for update, sending all my best wishes, one day at a time and keep going.

Wavejumper said...

I have an email in my drafts cuz I lost Shaz's address. Dont ask my how that happened. I have poking around trying to find it someplace...Please tell her I am sorry for the delay. I only just figured out how to follow the blog! oy.

I am sorry to hear you two are again supporting the medical industry...she really should get frequent flyer miles...

Please let her know big love is coming across the pond from NYC for you both. I know how exhausting and stressful this is for the partner. My Mal was a warrior like you.

Wish I could do more than say keep on truckin'...this too shall pass. (Just not soon enough!)

So grateful for technology like this so we can stay up to date. I am pre-computer age.

xoxox Margot

Joan said...

With all you are doing and keeping track of, thank you so much for using your time and energy to keep us updated - and adding a perfect 'and finally' too! Much love to both of you.

Margaret Mackie said...

Dreadfully sorry to hear the difficult time Shaz is going through and sincerely hope the chemo helps and you get help with sorting out all of Shaz's side effects. Do you have any support from MacMillan Cancer Support? Also, a suggestion to help with hair washing, have a look at Nilaqua Shampoo Caps. These were so useful when my 94 year old mum had her leg in plaster.

All the best to you both
Margaret xx

Zsuzsa Karoly-Smith said...

Thanks for the update, Doug. Sounds like Shaz is still not out of the woods yet, but perhaps doing a bit better. You're doing a sterling job looking after her, though based on your account, under normal circumstances, I'm sure she would have been admitted to hospital! Keep strong - sending lots of love to both of you. xx

Zsuzsa Karoly-Smith said...

Ps. of course, we also appreciate the little funny at the end - and you're right, Shaz would never forgive you if you didn't include one!

Marit said...

Dear ones, I'm not much into blogging and checking blogs lately but I came over to see how Shaz/you are doing, djeez, what a story. Hang in there, keep calm. I send a bit of my energy (haven't much myself 'cause I'm still in recovering mode myself) but all I can spare goes to Shaz) Big hug from the Netherlands sweeties!!

Di said...

Dear Doug and Shaz. First of all, thanks so much to Doug for keeping us up to date. What a time you're both going though - our much loved Shaz in the thick of it all and you paddling like hell under the water keeping the good ship 'Doug N Shaz' afloat Doug, most certainly a husband in a million.

You could check with your pharmacy or medics about using 'Liquid Paraffin 50% in White Soft Paraffin BP' for Shaz's soreness. The tubs are 500g and I was first prescribed it for rawness when an eczema flare up just peeled away the skin on the palms my hands and the soles of my feet. It works and soothes so much. As I said, it can be prescribed or bought over the counter (even Amazon sell it now, at a premium of course!).

Thinking of you both, hoping for improvements for Shaz, look after yourself too Doug - and sending my love.

Di xx

Lisa-Jane said...

That is absolutely the perfect funny to end with - I hope you are both able to conserve some energy during this tough time. I love that hair washing photo! Whatever will they think of next?! She looks so content laying back there. Please do look after yourself too Doug. Sending you all the love we have xx

Shaz in Oz.CalligraphyCards said...

Dear Shaz and Doug, so good to see another update, kept checking but obviously not often enough as so many comments already. As you’re half a day behind it makes it tricky too.

Thanks Doug for champion updates, love your innovative hair wash technique, pray Drs are compassionate and accurate in their treatment and diagnosis, not curt and guessing in haste. Really it all is a juggling act isn’t it! Love the funny at the end, of course, and hope Di’s cream suggestions help with raw skin, as that is no fun.
Praying each evening for you both, so that’s in your daytime! 😉😃🥰❤️🙏🤗

May you be guided wisely in all things and pray especially for the efficacy of the treatment.
Thanks for Sharing, God bless and keep you safe in all things,
Prayer hugs Shaz in Oz.x

{Wonderful Words of Life - Shaz in Oz}
{Calligraphy Cards - Shaz in Oz}

{Wonderful Words of Life - God has not given us a Spirit of Fear}

Mary Anne said...

Thanks for letting us know! We are all thinking of you and hoping for the best possible outcome, and soon. Tell Shaz I am pulling for her!
Mary Anne

BJ said...

Heavenly Father, I lift up Shaz and Doug to you now, give them strength and peace. Amen.

Lynn Holland said...

Popping in to add my love and prayers and hope for you both.
Give Shaz a kiss from me.
Love from Lynn - One I Made Earlier xxx

glitterandglue said...

Dear Doug - and Shaz. Thank you for this - have only just found it. I am praying for you both, as things have moved on since your post. I was praying Psalm 139 for her early this morning - that lovely part which says how God made us, so knows us inside out! He tenderly loves the pair of you; and is holding you and the family at this time.
Take care. God bless.
Glitterandglue - Margaret W

Spyder said...

Thank you Doug for your well worded and funny and thoughtful updates, Sending huggs and prayers
((Lyn))

Shaz in Oz.CalligraphyCards said...

Dear Doug and Shaz, back again, it's 3.32am here but praying for you both. Julia kindly emailed me FB updates,so praying more clearly.. especially for comfort of heart, at such a time words echo as empty sounds in the sprrowful numbness.
Yet I write on, as you're both lovingly in my prayers, thoughts day and night.
God, our Heavenly Father knows, He cares for you both and loves you, holding you in His arms, praying much in Jesus' name.
Shaz in Oz.x 🙏🙏❤❤🤗🤗❤❤

StampinCarol said...

I just heard and my prayers are with Shaz and you. Thanks for the update.
Hugs from southern Arizona, USA.
Carol

Kelly said...

Oh my, Doug!
Thank you so much for taking the time to update us. Documentation in any form is everything.

Please give my love to Shaz. Shaz brought me to WOYWW. We first met on Splitcoast and later were part of a yahoo group for pagan artists (that didn't last long). I am RainLyte. I will offer prayers to the Goddess for prayers and strength for both of you.
Prayers and Blessings Kelly aka Rain

Crafting With Jack said...

Thank you for the update, sending love to you both, Angela

Heather M said...

Hi Doug and Shaz, thanks for keeping us up to date with Shaz. As you can see, we are all praying for her, and for you to keep well and look after her. You are right - Shaz's hair is awesome, and well done on finding such a unique hair washing solution. Much love and big hugs to you both, Heather xx

Kathryn Frantz said...

You both have been in my thoughts and prayers. Thanks for the update, Doug.
Take care of yourself, as well!

Love to you both!

Kathryn (across the pond in the State of Washington)

Stacy Sheldon said...

I am not so good with words, ( that is my excuse for the sheer volume of stamps I own with sentiments ;) ) Just wanted to let you know I am praying for both of you and glad to read they are letting you be with Shaz inside the hospital. ((( HUGS ))) ~Stacy

Sue said...

Sending heaps of positive healing thoughts to Shaz. Also loads of hugs to you both (((Shaz & Doug))). Sue

De serendipity said...

Dear Shaz sending you love and prayer. A big thanks to Doug for keeping us in the loop.
XX Sandra de

pearshapedcrafting said...

Cor! What a mixed bag of events this is. Pleased the Chemo is going well .....but really...what a dreadful consequence! Hope that Shaz continues to improve and that you too can get some rest.
Hugs from us both, Chris and Tonyxxx

Susan Renshaw said...

Thinking of you both...

Lynnecrafts said...

Doug, so so sorry to hear about Shaz. She was such a special person.
Sending hugs to you
Lynne (Lynnecrafts).

Viv said...

I am so sorry to hear about Shaz.
Keeping you and your family in my thoughts and prayers. xx

Marchi Marco said...

Wow unbelievable. Tracy here From Austria I want to say a very big thanks and appreciation to DR.ADIOLA of all spell casters worldwide for bringing back my husband who left me and the kids for almost six months within the space of two days after following all instructions given to me. I am very much grateful for restoring peace in my marital home, and I pray God almighty gives you the strength and wisdom to continue helping more people having similar relationships and marital problems like mine. For help you can contact him now through his email and mobile number below. Email: adiolaspelltemple@gmail.com
WhatsApp Number: +2347057480065

An End of an era

An end of an era

I write this with a broken heart, that only time can heal My beautiful, wonderful wifelet Shaz (Silverwolf) passed away peacefully in the ea...