A warm welcome to all my visitors,

Thank you for taking the time to come and look at my blog, I really do appreciate it. I would love you to leave me a comment, even if it’s just to say Hi. It means I can come visit you!

All my designs are original, so copyrighted to me. If I have been inspired by someone elses work, I have named them in the post, and where able, I have provided a link.

Please feel free to use my designs for inspiration, I just ask you to credit me, and provide a link back to my blog.

Thanks, Shaz XX

Wednesday 18 April 2018

WOYWW #463

Good Morning all, and here we are again, and heading rapidly towards our 9th birthday. Julia has a page on The Stamping Ground with details about this years ATC swap. I will be up for this, so if you'd like to swap, then please leave me a message in your comment, and if you'd email me your snail mail addy, (worldwide) I'll send you mine.
 And moving on to the desk:
First make this week is using a Sweet Poppy stencil, and its matching die. I bought the die at Ally Pally, as I already have the stencil. It lets you cut out 3 sections of the piece, so you can layer them up.

There is also a Poinsettia stencil and die  too, and you can see that in the Christmas Card post below this one.







You could of course fussy cut, but I hate doing that!







I had made a couple of each design, but you can cut them all from the same one, and add some cardstock at the back of the base to mount your layers onto.
 I think these would look fab done in glitter, or the hot foil technique, which I'll be giving a try next.






These I did to try out using two colours in an image, by masking off the leaves and doing the flowers, then when that was dry, doing the reverse.








Then I spent some time using my Silhouette to cut out some stencils. I dusted the poor thing off -literally- I can't remember when I last used it, as I wanted an arch stencil, but couldn't find one the size & shape I was after. So I thought I'd have a go at making my own, using some OHP film.


I only want them for sponging ink through, so I think they'll be sturdy enough for that, but I don't think they'd be strong enough for anything more. 


Anyone thinking of getting a digital cutter, I can say it's one of the best investments I ever made. You can see here how I've been able to resize each image as I wanted, which is the main thing I love about it.


 I've also kept the inner bits, to use as masks.

I want to CASE a card I've seen done in a Facebook post, from the Loving all things Lavinia group, and the lady had used an Arched Clarity stencil that doesn't seem to be around now. It was a tall, thin one, rather than the smaller one they have now.


I'd also had a go at hand cutting some from some plastic packaging, but not tried them yet, and I don't know how smooth my cutting has been.😐



 The window shape below was not only resized, I also changed the actual windows to just 4, as it had multiple small panes in it. Plus, it cost me 99 cents from the Silhouette store!







 I have some round-topped ones to cut as well.



These cotton buds may interest you. I picked them up by the tills in Primark yesterday. I thought both ends should be very useful in crafting.





 Now for a couple of other items you might find useful.

  Firstly, those die storage pockets from Avery Elle I was storing all my dies on magnetic sheets on?
 Now, they are not exactly cheap, although they are good quality and very sturdy.  They are around £7-£10 for a pack of 50, depending which size you want, and I have found they are often out of stock over here.

Last night, while browsing You Tube, I came across a video from a lady who had made her own using a laminator & pouches. As she says, it's sheer genius! They look great and are nice and strong too. The upside of course is you can have custom made sizes to suit your storage method. Hers don't have a flap, but I'm sure that'd be easy to figure out if you wanted them, she just puts a thumb grip at the end with a 1" circle punch. Anyway, it's only a 10 minute video, and the link is HERE if you are interested.
 So I reckon, even if you don't have a laminator, you can pick up a basic bog standard one for around £15, and packs of laminating pouches on Amazon are about £7.50 for a hundred (and you can even get them in Pound stores too), if you have a number of dies- or even stamps- you wanted to put into pockets,then it's cheaper to buy a lamintor and make your own. I know I shan't be buying any more of the Avery Elle ones.

Second thing of note was a tip I saw on a Joanna Sheen newsletter, from a crafter called Dawn Knight, about the annoying way silicone dries in the tube- (especially I find, Pinflair.) She said:
'I found that no matter what I did to protect it, whenever I wanted silicone glue, I had to spend ages gouging plugs of cured glue out of the top of the tube.  I have now taken to squeezing the glue up to the very top of the tube and covering it with a piece of cling film before replacing the cap.  Since then, I have never had to dig out the cured glue.           Dawn Knight
So hopefully that will be a helpful bit of advice.
And finally.......................... 



I reckon we all qualify! 😊😊

24 comments:

Helen said...

Love the latest public service announcements, so helpful!! your stencil cutting looks to have paid dividends too, and as for those beautiful poinsettias, they are fantastic! Helen #2

Anonymous said...

Happy WOYWW. I am going to be trying to make my own stencils with my Brother Scan n Cut when we return from Spain. I used to cut them with my Silhouette when I still had it. In fact I did one with thick card and still using it (obviously I have only used it with dry mediums so far, but thinking of coating it with Mod Podge and then it would be ok with paints etc). Good tip re. the glue. I now just take the top off and use a narrow plastic palette knife to get a blob of glue out. Can I have my PhD now?! I can count a lot more than 3 unfinished projects in my craft room. Ali x #12

Sylvia/LittleTreasures said...

Really loving your layers flower. Beautiful colors. Thanks for the tips on the glue, one frustration of mine too. Will have to watch the video on the storage pockets too, I've been using the magnetic sheets and have like this way for the smaller pieces. Somehow I've lost my patience with machines, it must be an age thing but I like what your Silhouette does. Have a fun week #11

Sarah Brennan said...

Some great tips that you've picked up here and there Shaz, thanks for sharing. i must have several PhDs according to that definintion lol. Have a good week. Sarah #17

Annie said...

So many great tips today Shaz. I love the way crafters are always so willing to share with others....no one is precious with methods of crafting. We have so much sharing and caring going on on our Wednesday visits....I love it.
Hugs,
Annie x #14

glitterandglue said...

Morning Shaz. Goodness - you've been SO busy this week - all those tips, great pieces made with the new stencils and dies. I am desperately hoping I will, by the middle of May, have made some ATCs - would love to swap with you if I ever get them made!!! I'm only a tiny way through my PhD!!!!!
Take care. God bless.
Margaret #7

Shaz in Oz.CalligraphyCards said...

Oh dear Shaz I could get the PhD for two of my three cards today!!
BTW the pink black white one uses a teeny bit of black stick on braidy thing in your things yoy sent me!
You'd used some methinks cos i know I haven't and there was one but just right length left!! thanks for heads up on silhouette not dont have cutter and dont want one.. really! can see the use but not for me.
Must check out that video.. have bog cheap laminator already.
Hugs from snowed under Sahzx.

Shaz in Oz.CalligraphyCards said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Lunch Lady Jan said...

I may have a professorship in half finished projects, never mind a PhD!! Oooh, I love those Sweet Poppy images in the first pic and can imagine that they'll work so well in a foiled effect, gorgeous. The images on the black backgrounds are lovely too, it looks so different to a plain white card!
Hugs LLJ 16 xxx

Lillianb said...

Happy WOYWDW Shaz,

Thank you for yuor visit to my blog,

Love your work and how you have used those stancils are amazing, Love them, All your work is lovely.

Lilian B #17

Sue said...

Hi Shaz, Lovely flowers and the templates are great.

Those cotton buds do look very useful.

Great idea to make your own pouches. That's a good tip for the glue.

Thanks for stopping by my blog.

Happy WOYWW
Sue #21

Fiona@Staring at the Sea said...

That stencil and die combo is so intricate. They remind me of peacock feathers. Thanks so much for the laminator tip link. Genius!

Fiona #22

My name is Cindy said...

Wow, so many hints and tips - thanks, will try some of the. I saw the pinflair one and promptly forgot all about it. Love those mandalas, great to find dies that go with them! Yes I am still in Middx, haven't moved for 25 years. Not sur I have your addy, could you message me? Happy WOYWW Cindy #20

StampinCarol said...

You sure have been busy!! Great stencil and stuff! WOW, just gorgeous designs! I've barely turned on my ScanNCut2 but hoping to play with it more soon! Making stencils look like fun! I've seen those cotton buds at a store but can't remember which one. They are cool. And love the quote, I've got a few of those projects hanging around.. LOL! Thanks for the visit and have a great week!
Carol N #28

Suzanne Alexis said...

Wow, lots to look at this week! First, I want to do the ATC swap this year. It will be my first time making them, so don't expect anything fancy! I can't wait to start a collection. I hate fussy cutting too, but I don't have a digital cutter, and it's definitely not in the budget this year. So if I don't have a die, fussy cutting it is! (Better than nothing, I suppose). I assume a Pound store is like a dollar store in the U.S.? Thanks for the glue tip, I'm going to use that. Have a great week!

Suzanne #34

Stacy Sheldon said...

Hi Shaz, I totally love the layered blooms it really reminds me of some old outlines stamps I have that I used to stamp a few times and layer them up. ( I should dig them out sometime because, yours are just beautiful) :) ~Stacy #33

Elizabeth said...

Hi Shaz, I've definitely earned a PhD, several times over! The layered blooms are gorgeous, as are your Christmas cards in the previous post. The poinsettias on the gold and white one twinkle beautifully. I've tried several methods for storing dies and stamps and none have really worked for me. Those pouches look a good idea - they look a bit like CD sleeves. Thanks for the link - I'll check it out later. Thanks too for your earlier comment. Have a great week. Hugs, Elizabeth x #25

Julia Dunnit said...

Ah Shaz, I dont qualify for PhD, because I never quite get around to starting them!! I was at a christmas wreath/paper flower/arrangement type workshop last December and the tutor told me the same about the silicone glue. I now make sure the glue is squeezed up to the point of delivery but I dont use the cling film, and it’s been really a good tip. I use a blob of blue tack over the tip of my PV and find that works as well as anything else I’ve tried. Love that you share so, I would, but I forget!!
The layered blooms look fantastic, I would have walked past those without thinking they could look so great - love the leaves on the biggest layer, specially in black and white.

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Hi Shaz. Before I forget, sent you an email re. the ATCs. Great post today and the PhD, I think I may be in line for one of those easily Lol! Have a great woyww and happy crafty week, Angela x18x

Neet said...

First of all, thanks for all the tips and hints Shaz, you are one of my favourite enablers.
Now those Mandalas you have in your first photo - they are utterly gorgeous! Wow, remind me of peacock feathers. Absolutely beautiful. As are the flower cards you have been making.
Hugs, & thanks for visiting me, Neet 3

Cheetarah said...

Those are some fantastic tips Shaz, thank you!! I will check out those q-tips at Primark here, love the rounded ends and could definitely be useful for ink swabs and other stuff! Hope you're having a fantastic day! xo Cheetarah #24

Zsuzsa Karoly-Smith said...

Wow, those mandala flowers are stunning! Great tip on the silicone glue - it probably works with all other glues as well. Talking about tips, I've tried your idea on my dried up gilding waxes, but I couldn't find my pencil blend, so I used a transfer solution (similar to citrasolv) which seemed to work as well -perhaps all solvents do the trick. Thanks for your visit yesterday - enjoy the rest of your week! zsuzsa #5

Kyla said...

wow those poinsettias are stunning, but what blew me away was the two colour stencils. For some reason I have NEVER thought of doing this!! Why? The flowers look brilliant, once again I bow in front of your crafty knowledge :-)

Also love the top tips-keep them coming :-)

kyla

Kelly said...

No kidding! I love that 'definition' of a PhD. yep.. that would be me. Fits right in with a t-shirt I bought at a quilt guild retreat. I'll post a picture tomorrow.

I'll check out the video link. I store my dies on magnetic vent covers cluted to chipboard. I'll link that blog post in my WOYWW post tomorrow.

As always, sweet Shaz, Creative Blessings! Kelly #27

An End of an era

An end of an era

I write this with a broken heart, that only time can heal My beautiful, wonderful wifelet Shaz (Silverwolf) passed away peacefully in the ea...