A warm welcome to all my visitors,

Thank you for taking the time to come and look at my blog, I really do appreciate it. I would love you to leave me a comment, even if it’s just to say Hi. It means I can come visit you!

All my designs are original, so copyrighted to me. If I have been inspired by someone elses work, I have named them in the post, and where able, I have provided a link.

Please feel free to use my designs for inspiration, I just ask you to credit me, and provide a link back to my blog.

Thanks, Shaz XX

Wednesday 17 January 2018

WOYWW #450

Right I'm Back!lol. MIA last week, so I'm here again to link up with Julia at The Stamping Ground for another tour of Desk Duty.I was doing some colouring in my books last week, and after dumping a lot of felts and markers that had run out/dried up, I ended up using some coloured pencils in an Art set from WHSmiths I'd been bought as a Christmas pressie a few years ago. I actually found I enjoyed the pencils much more than I expected, plus you don't get the bleed through issues you get with some markers, so I invested in a set of Prismacolours from Amazon.  I've been watching You Tube videos on blending & shading with them, and they seemed about the best at a reasonable price point.

I also bought another couple of Christmas stencils from Sweet Poppy in their  sale, I was very taken with the bauble one, as I'd seen some Christmas Cards  made using a rubber stamp in the same sort of lay out. I think these will look amazing done with the foil & laminator technique.

I'm actually starting to feel more like crafting, now that I seem to finally be getting beyond this blasted cold/cough/chest infection.
So much so, I have three new cards put together, the top one just needing a sentiment. I shall stamp a greeting onto cardstock and die cut, as I really should have done any heat embossing before the gluing down stage!
 Mind you, maybe I'm making work for myself- they don't have to be heat embossed really.



A quick bit of back info on things mentioned in the past few weeks- first, the Groovi Grip. I've put this onto my rulers now, and also onto my Stix2 layering thingy. It works like a dream, the ruler stays put with just the slightest pressure from your fingers. I also discovered it's not actually sticky, it's a static cling. So once you smooth it down, it stays put, but if you want to take it off, there's no icky residue to get rid of.
Second, the Versafine Clair Fallen Leaves Brown. I emailed Tsukineko, and told them what I was seeing, and asked if I had a faulty pad.
This was the response I got, admittedly very fast, in fact the next day. 

To inform you the conclusion, the Fallen Leaves you bought is not a faulty pad.
 The Fallen Leaves is blackish dark brown and when there is a lot of ink on the pad, it look blackish.
Especially when you just opened the pad, there is plenty of the ink on the pad, it may look more blackish.
 And, it may affect the color a little depend on the type of paper you use.
 The color sample of the labelling on the Fallen Leaves is not exactly the same as actual color.
 We appreciate for  your understanding and hope to continue to choose our TSUKINEKO products for years to come.

 So I replied, as this didn't really address the issue I had, which wasn't the colour of the inkpad, but rather the colour it stamped out at. I also asked if they were planning to put a colour chart on the website.
 
Thank you for your email and precious opinion.
 We will pass your opinion to our product development department and take your opinion into account in the case of next product development.
 As to the website, we are planning to add the color chart of Versafine Clair, but the details such as time has not been decided yet.
 Thank you and best regards,

I  have to wonder if they have had this ink tested by stampers before release. I still don't see any brown in it at all. I did email Lavinia Stamps, to let them know what I was seeing, in case anyone else had a problem. They tested it out and agreed that yes, it does not look brown at all, although they could get a brown impression with a second generation print. I think it may need to be coated cardstock, as on my bog standard plain card, I'm not seeing that.

 Talking of ink, another Black ink that may interest people.
When I did the TH workshop, he mentioned the 4 colour Archival inkpads the designers had all brought out. He said that in his, the black part of the pad wasn't the original Black Archival, but in fact a Black Soot Archival. He also said it wasn't available as a separate pad- won't be surprised to see that change in the near future- but that you could buy a blank Archival inkpad, and an Archival Black Soot reinker, and make your own. From the demo he showed us, the original Archival Black has clear Purplish tones, which the Black Soot doesn't have. So, it was out of stock for quite a while at Art from the Heart, but I now have one, and will be inking it up and testing it out soon.

 Had the follow up from the scan, and they seem happy enough. They're happy it's not grown, and may be smaller, so they will monitor it and I get another scan in 3 months.
And finally.........................

25 comments:

Helen said...

lets start with the good news first - encouraging news from the scan! Sounds like poor testing from Versafine re the brown ink pad before launch...
Love your boxes of pencils! Helen #?

Sarah Brennan said...

Good news about the scan Shaz. I agree with Helen it sounds like poor product testing with the ink pad. I have a re inker for Black Soot. I hadn't thought about making my own individual pad. I don't see why they can't bring the 4 Tim Holtz colours out as individual pads. I'd buy them even though I have the larger palette. Happy WOYWW. Sarah #?

Annie said...

Great to hear you’re feeling rather better and the scan results sound good too. Keep up the good work.
I still have one of those old computers....it possibly gets used more than the lap top 😂😂😂😂
Hugs,
Annie x #9

glitterandglue said...

Morning Shaz. So glad to see you here this morning - was thinking of emailing to check you were ok if you hadn't been around today.. Glad you are shaking off that chest infection - they do seem to be hanging around this year - a friend from church has been MIA for three or four weeks!
You've certainly been busy testing out your products!!! And I have to say - I LOVE the original computer!! Must admit I use that one a lot!
Those cards are lovely, as are the stencils.
Are you coming up to the Manchester show at the beginning of Feb?? A few of us from around here are going on the Friday, courtesy of our free tickets!
Take care. God bless.
Margaret #2

Christine said...

So pleased to see you back on the Blog again, let's hope that bug does NOT make another appearance!!
Thanks for sharing the interesting info about the inkpad, their English sounds just like my French to a French person!! lol
Take care, stay warm and have a good week
Christine #21

Diana Taylor said...

There is something so irresistible about things in colour order - your pencils look so inviting to use. I also really like the baubles stencil, and the tree is sweet too - I'm a bit of a mistletoe fan so I might look out for that one.
Good news about the scan,
Have a good week,
Hugs, Diana x #20

Heather M said...

Hi Shaz, great news about the scan! Fingers crossed everything keeps heading in the right direction. I was MIA too last week. Dreaded flu! Nice set of colouring pencils. I'm sure you'll have a lot of fun with them. Hehe I still have that original computer! Have a lovely week Heather #17

Lunch Lady Jan said...

Lolol, the And Finally made me hoot this morning :-D. Look at those lush pencils, oooh, the colours are just gorgeous - I'm glad you're enjoying suing them. Well done for the consumer investigation re the inks. I think these companies can be a bit arrogant at times, they ignore the opinion of their customers at their own peril. I'm glad that you're feeling a bit better now, long may that continue.
And finally (!) thank you once again for sending me all that wonderful stuff fo card making. I'm incredibly chuffed with it all xx
Hugs LLJ 11 xxx

Zsuzsa Karoly-Smith said...

Lovely pencils, Shaz. Prismacolors are so soft and creamy. I'm addicted to coloured pencils even though I never use them LOL! And I mean NEVER! I just love the way they are laid out in a metal tin. How annoying about the brown ink, especially that they don't acknowledge the problem. Glad to see you're back - I was a bit worried when you didn't turn up last week - last time you did that you were in hospital - but I'm glad to see all is well. Happy WOYWW! zsuzsa #19

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Pleased to hear the scan went well and the cold is a lot better. They really need to test those inks better before they go on the market. Have a great woyww, Angela x14x

Shaz in Oz.CalligraphyCards said...

Hi Shaz, glad of scan results. Pray good news continues.
Interesting feedback re inks. Sometimes you feel just like they’re not listening don’t you...?
Bit like an email I sent today to China and reply received... very strange though as they’re a big company.
Love the threesome of cards, amd you remind me yet again of underused things... those TH dues.
Thanks so much for your great desky share.
Happy WOYWW! Shaz in Oz.x #4

{Calligraphy Cards - Shaz in Oz}

Kathyk said...

Great news about the scan AND about the fact you are easing back in to crafting once more.

Informative post too .... I had considered the clair pads but will hold off a while. I have also got the four pad Ranger Distress permanent (with hickory smoke vintage photo, tea dye and black soot) and really like it too, although it's size does make it a little unwieldy!

I bought a pack of 60 crayola's (to see if I liked pencil colouring as a medium) and found I LOVED it so ..... I asked around and eventually settled on the oil based pencils .. Faber Castell polychromos. Not regretting my decision and can hardly remember the last time I used alcohol markers. As you say - you get no bleed through so they're GREAT for one layer cards but I sometimes get fed up of layering before I achieve the depth of bright colour that you so quickly obtain with alcohol markers - just thought I'd add my two penneth whilst saying "HI", do hope you don't mind.

Oh and Happy WOYWW - sorry I've not been around to visit much lately either

Kathyk

Marit said...

I'm happy the scan showed good results - and the issue with colors/ink/paint... I know those 'they don't really answer the question'-responses which always make me furious! The pencils look wonderful, have fun coloring! Love from stormy Holland, Marit #22

Anne said...

Hello Shaz. Good to see you back! Good news re scan. Take care. Anne x 15

Cara said...

Lovely to see you post again. I hope you continue to feel better and that you can enjoy spending time crafting. Hugs x

Neet said...

Good news on the scan, we can only pray for even more good news.
Love your array of pencils, I have those and love them. Need to be a bit more skilled at using them so will look at You Tube like you have.
Gorgeous cards as always.
Sending love to you both, feel so far removed when over here.
Hugs, Neet 12 xx.

Twiglet said...

Great news on the scan. I'm with Annie on the original computer! Keep cosy in this bleak weather. xx Jo

April said...

I hope you enjoy your new pencils. Love the card missing the sentiment. Those colors are lovely. Good news about your scan.
April #29

StampinCarol said...

Glad the scan went well! I used to use that original computer, in fact, frequent still do! LOL! I also have a bunch of Prismacolor pencils. They're great! I've used Gamsol and oderless mineral spirits to blend them.
Thanks for stopping by! Have a great week!
Carol N #28

buterfliecrafter said...

Last year I also bought the prismacolours,havent used them a lot,should change that,happy woyww,vicky

Lindart said...

Great news about the scan! I'm sure that news, as well as feeling better from the chest thingy, has affected your out look on life in general as well!

You can tell Tsukineko is a Japanese company, with the comment "precious opinion" LOL! Your info is invaluable, thanks!

All your new toys look like fun, looking forward to seeing the results of your play!

Thanks for your visit, good luck with your ink cleanout! I was actually surprised at how deteriorated the got over the years(the pigment inks)! Lindart #30

Annie Claxton said...

HI Shaz, good news about the scan and glad you're feeling better and more crafty! I love Prismacolor pencils and have that same set myself, I use it all the time, need to find somewhere to buy individual colours now as some are going down faster than others (they're so soft they do wear out quickly of course if you use them a lot) - worth every penny in my opinion (which is NOT precious hehhe) Have a good weekend :o) Annie C #17

Aimeslee Winans said...

Howdy from Texas, Shaz! So happy you are feeling better and scanning went well. I am slowly getting better every day but not fast enough for my mind lol. Inks can be such a bother. I finally bought the Shadow Grey Wendy Vecchi Archival pad and it seems awfully dry-ish, but then again it's supposed to be a shadow haha. I've been making stuff too, and it's been good therapy. :-) xoxo

BJ said...

Shaz I have you to thank for the MM card inspiration. Had your photo on my desktop for ages and was going to make some "spare" sympathy cards but never got round to it, in fact I was waiting to get round to ordering the "With Sympathy" die. Well things rather took over in the end. Have got the die now though so I might just make some soon..........Thanks for the visit, sorry I take so long to reply, life just has a way of taking over. Always appreciate my comments, Thank you BJ#10

Dorlene Durham said...

Great news about the scan. Your cards are fabulous! And I love your product “reviews”. Sorry for the late visit buy happy WOYWW. Dorlene #33

An End of an era

An end of an era

I write this with a broken heart, that only time can heal My beautiful, wonderful wifelet Shaz (Silverwolf) passed away peacefully in the ea...